This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Feature work item type

Oct 7, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Hi Guys

This is a really interesting document you have produced with some very detailed ideas and guidance.

Throughout it you mention the feature work item type and that this was added to the CMMI template in TFS 2010. I've been trying to find it in the process template and reference to it elsewhere and can't find any mention.

Was this pulled from the final release or ... not sure?

It seemed like something that may be useful in concept helping us to map epic type very high level business goals down to more granular application goals.

Any help or comment would be grateful

Thanks

Joel

Jan 13, 2011 at 6:26 PM

We have just uploaded the hands-on-lab (HOL) manual and the bits needed to create and use the feature work item type. Does this help you?

See http://blogs.msdn.com/b/willy-peter_schaub/archive/2011/01/13/requirements-management-guidance-where-is-the-feature-work-item-type.aspx for details.

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Alternatively if you are just after the Feature work item type you can run the following command using the HOLPackage bits:

importwitd /collection:@@1@@ /p:"@@2@@" /f:"@@3@@\Feature.xml"

• @@1@@ ... define your team project collection
  • @@2@@ ... define your team project
  • @@3@@ ... path to the feature.xml file, which is sitting in HOLSetup directory of the HOLPackage.
Jan 19, 2011 at 12:27 AM

The Hands-On-Lab material that Willy forwarded you to includes the Feature work item type that was specified in the guidance.

During the development of the guidance, a Feature work item was to discussed as part of the release of the MSF for CMMI template, but the team implemented a requirements hierarchy in a different way than the guidance specifies.

The same affect can be gained using a single work item for the business level as well as the system level (or any additional levels as well for that matter). 

This is what they implemented: 

In the MSF for CMMI template, there is a Requirement work item that includes a "Requirement Type" attribute.  It includes a list of allowed values:

* Scenario"

"Quality of Service"

"Functional"

"Operational"

"Interface"

"Security"

"Business Objective"

"Feature".

In the MSF for Agile template, a Requirement work item is intended to be the business level (an alternative to the "Feature", but a similar 2-tier implementation) and the User Story represents the system level.  For further classification of non-functional requirements or user stories, you might want to add an attribute that helps you delineate them from one another.

So, you should be able to build your hierarchy with what is there out of the box, but you could always implement the Feature work item that is included in the hands-on-lab as an alternative, especially for the CMMI template if you have a need to track the business level with a different workflow from the system level.

I hope this answered your questions. 

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Hi, I followed instructions, still can not see the "Quality Gates Tab " when I try to create a new feature